Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Quilts, Quilts, and more Quilts

 

I know, I know, it's been ages since I posted here.   Fall was kinda crazy around our house.  My mother-in-law fell and had to be hospitalized, our youngest son decided to move to South Dakota, and I had a ton of sewing to do for clients leading up to Christmas.   Other than that, not much was happening!  Ha!

Well, I'm back and here is a look at some recent work.   Thanks for hanging in there with me.....
A wonderfully interesting client approached me about making a few quilts for him utilizing his shirts from the various marathons he has run.   Here are two of them I recently made for him.
This gentleman travels to Pike's Peak in Colorado every year to run this crazy marathon up the mountain and down again.   Whew!    I don't know how he does it...   Here is one of his shirts while I decide what size template to use to trim the shirt to size. 
My templates were cut out of heavy duty plexiglass at Lowe's while I "supervised" the cuts with the poor guy who was on duty that day.   Bet he doesn't want to ever repeat that again!   Ha!
Now that I have an empty bedroom, I put up two 6' folding tables and use them to lay out my quilts.   Here you see the piles of different sized shirts cut and ready for layout.
This part of the process is fun, moving all the shirts around, fitting them together like a jigsaw puzzle.
Here they are all sewn together with the orange border added.   Bet you Floridians can guess where the theme of this quilt is going.  Yup!  This guy is a Florida Gator fan.
He brought this flannel to be used as the backing of the quilt.   I added some of the orange to "break" it up a bit and add some interest to the backing.
And here is the completed quilt.   Sorry the pic turned out so dark.   My client was very happy with the end result and was thrilled to see his shirts as a finished product he can enjoy for years to come.  
The same week that I made his Pike's Peak quilt, I also made him one from his Turkey Trot shirts.   This quilt was much simpler and made using 12 shirts all cut the same size and laid out 3 shirts across and 4 shirts down.   Black borders tie it all together.  

He says he has more shirts for me to make into quilts for him in the future.   Bring it on!
Debbie







No comments:

Post a Comment