Tuesday, January 22, 2013

More Monster Quilt

It was months ago when I started to work on a quilt for our youngest grandson.   I got as far as cutting out the monster faces and piecing them together.   But then life got crazy and I had to put the quilt on the back burner.  Well, I have a break from work for clients so I pulled the quilt out again and worked on it last week in earnest.   Here's how far I got....
This quilt has a 39"X60"  center panel that is literally covered with circles.   Tons and tons of circles.   The largest ones I drew out on the back of the fabric and cut out.   But all the circles less than 4" I traced onto Steam A Seam Light II and ironed onto the back of all the fabrics, then cut on the lines to create perfect circles that just needed to be ironed onto the center panel.
I started laying out the medium sized circles after the large monster faces were in place.   Then I filled in with the smaller circles.  Holy cow there were a lot!  I stopped to count them and ended up counting 425!!!  
I thought I would never finish cutting them all out.  
The next job was to iron the ones that had the fusible attached to their back.   That held them in place so I could start the 3 day process of free motion stitching on each and every circle.    Color by color....
Yes, that's a lot of different threads,  isn't it?
Here's a view of the back and the stitching.   After stitching around the larger circles, I cut away the white fabric to eliminate bulk after it's all quilted.

The final step for the inside panel was stitching the mouths of all the monsters.   Now, on to the borders!   Wait'll you see what they're like!   

More to come,
Debbie







No comments:

Post a Comment