Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Making Progress

Well, the Monster quilt is coming along nicely.  I worked on it for 2 more days and finally the entire quilt top is completed!  Here are some pics that show how the borders were created.
I cut strips of varying widths from all the fabrics left over that were used to make the circles for the center panel.  Then, they were randomly sewed together and the seams pressed all to one side.   I used the template from the instructions to cut triangles.....lots and lots of triangles, from the newly created strip fabric.
The triangles were evenly spaced along the white borders and pinned in place.   Then I stitched them using a blanket stitch on the sewing machine.

Here's a peek at the quilt top with the borders attached.  Whew!  I need to backtrack here for a minute.   Before attaching the wide borders with the triangles, I had to create the narrow borders.  The green one on the left was no problem.   The orange and red one on the right was easy also and just had to have the large blue ric-rac centered onto the red strip.   The short end borders were another story, though.
The top border was a 2" white strip sewn onto a 1" red strip on one side and a 1" orange strip on the other.  Then I had to cut out and apply 20 1" circles on the white strip.
The bottom border consists of 3-1" blue strips sewn with 2-1" strips in between.   Wow, everything about this quilt takes time!   I have to admit, though, that I have really enjoyed making this quilt.   There's something fun about the challenge of a complex quilt that speaks to me.   Now I just have to "sandwich" the quilt with batting and a fabric I found for the backing with, what else, circles all over it!    Quilting it is another matter.  I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to quilt this one.   Wish I had a long arm quilter......sigh......someday, maybe.

Circle crazy,
Debbie





No comments:

Post a Comment