Friday, August 17, 2012

Sea Turtle

Sometimes I am asked to sew something that I wouldn't ordinarily sew.   That was the case as I helped a friend of ours to paint and update a living room/kitchen of a cute cottage.  I've only made a couple of slipcovers and always say, "Never again!"  because it is a time consuming, often frustrating experience for me.   Well, I got talked into trying again.  Here's what the chair looked like before.....


The fabric is heavy brushed denim in off white.   I washed and dried the fabric first to preshrink it so when the completed slipcover needs to be cleaned, the homeowner can simply pop it in the washer and dryer.

This is the fitting in progress......front shot.....

And here is a side shot......All the pieces get pinned in place to ensure that once sewn, the slipcover fits properly.

I had purchased a piece of home decorator fabric that had beautiful botanically correct drawings of sea creatures.   This sea turtle was the perfect addition to a clean lined simple
(and washable, I might add!)  slipcover for an otherwise ordinary chair.   Now the chair fits in with the Coastal look of the rest of the cottage.  

Whew!    Glad it turned out as pretty as it did........but I think it'll be quite a while before I do another!

Resting up,
Debbie       





No comments:

Post a Comment