Sunday, August 19, 2012

Quilt Trails of Western North Carolina

Now you know how much I love quilts; I love to make them, I love to look at them, I love to sleep under them, I love to find new quilt patterns, and I love to "talk" quilt-shop-talk with other quilters!
It was no surprise that when we were on a recent trip to North Carolina that I brought the car to an immediate stop while driving down a winding country road.   There was a quilt block painted on the side of a barn!!!  

How cool is that?  I knew that someone in a northern state had started a trend of folks painting quilt block patterns on wood and hanging them on the side of their barns.   But, I didn't know that there was a "trail" of quilt barns in North Carolina also.  

I think the blocks look especially pretty against the grey/bleached out wood of the barn siding.

Each day as we left the cabin, I kept a sharp eye out for more of the quilt barns.   As it turns out, there are tour guide brochures you can purchase to guide yourself thru the local farmland and small towns as you hunt down the quilt barns.   Check them out at www.quilttrailswnc.org  


Even the general store in the little neighboring town had a quilt block on it's exterior wall.  See it in yellow near the front of the left side?

I think it would be fun to drive from farm to farm and town to town and see if I could find all the quilt barns.   Hmmmm, I wonder if we could do something like that here in Florida?   Instead of barns, how about the side of buildings....you know, like the murals that some towns paint on buildings to make them prettier?

Just an idea,
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment