Friday, October 26, 2012

Indian Rocks Christian School Quilt

If you've been reading my other blog you will know why I haven't been doing much sewing this past couple of weeks.   But I'm back at it again and this week I took 50 hand painted blocks from the fourth grade class of Indian Rocks Christian School and pieced together a quilt for them.   Each year the fourth grade art class does this project and this is the second year I have turned their blocks into a quilt.   Last year's quilt won a blue ribbon at the Florida State Fair!

Each year the quilt is auctioned off at the Fall school fund raiser and the buyer is usually a parent of one of the children that helped paint the blocks.  I hope this year the quilt helps to raise a lot of funds for the school.  Last year I arranged the blocks so it was more of an art quilt, but this year I choose to arrange them symmetrically with the four large blocks in the corners, the map of the U.S. in the center and the state flag blocks filling in between them.
I'd also like to say a big thanks to Robin, the art teacher who organizes all of this and who so graciously works with me on this project.  She does all the leg work and makes my job a lot easier because then I can concentrate on just doing the sewing.
Every quilt needs a label as the finishing touch and to help document a little history of the quilt.  I couldn't believe I had this fabric with a dark navy field and small white stars in my stash.   It was the perfect material to frame the label and I also used it as the binding around the quilt.

Ta-da!   Done!
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment