Friday, August 16, 2013

Bib Overalls, Coming Up

Have I ever shown you my bibbies?   I love wearing them!   I've been making bib overalls for a few years now, and they are just the most comfortable thing to wear.   No waistband, no tight restrictive feeling when you squat down to garden, lots of pockets to hold.......well, whatever you want to keep on your person.   And the design possibilities are endless.    The pockets can be a different coordinating fabric, and don't even get me started about buttons and other closures!

Well, here, I'll just show you what I mean.....
 I had an entire bolt of this palm tree fabric and was determined to use it rather than buy more fabric (we all know I have enough fabric for the next 10 years!).   I love the bright blue background sky with the greens of the palm fronds against the blue.
 Somewhere in my stash was this brown that worked great for the front hip pockets and then I used a bright blue for the bib pocket.  But first, I inserted a lime green zipper.....just for fun.
The back pockets are also made from the same brown fabric....the green lining didn't exactly match the outside, but you don't see it when the bibbies are on you. 

 These bibbies are  my old favorites.....I think I made these at least 5 years ago.  The cotton is nice and soft from so many washings.   The main fabric has beautiful roses on a soft pink background.  I used a soft pink with red dots on it for the bib pocket, the front hip pockets and the back pockets.   Dark red buttons were the only contrast needed on these bibs.
 These bibs were made just for camping trips.  They're cut off as crops, so, they're cooler to wear. 
And check out the "trailer" print fabric.   When I saw this in the fabric store, well, let's just say it had my name all over it!   The bib pocket is made with the trailer fabric and I added lime green rick-rack at the top.   For these bibbies I used traditional farmer's buckles and rivet  buttons to hold them up.
These bibs were just screaming out for some pink fabric and then I used the same rivet buttons for the side closures.   Lots of top stitching keeps them looking "authentic" and helps them wear after many washings.

So, the next time you wish you had something really comfortable to wear, why not whip up a pair of bib overalls for yourself?

Farmer girl wanna be,
Debbie





No comments:

Post a Comment